Thursday, March 20, 2014

Learning to rest

“Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
 For My yoke 
is easy and My burden is light.”
 (Mat. 11:28-30)


This week has seen my days full of rests like music! Even though I know this virus won't last I consider these much-needed rests annoying interruptions and I get frustrated. 
Like me, I know that there are others out there who try to resist rest. We want to be productive, to do more, and accomplish more. But it’s not only our bodies that need rest, we also need to fill our souls with God things. And that, I think, is the hardest part: to rest in the Lord especially in the midst of the hustle and bustle of everyday or in difficult times. In those times, it’s hard to stop, drop everything, and rest. But we need to rest in the truth that even if our bodies and minds are at a standstill, the Lord continues to work on our behalf.
The problem lies in our need for control. We want to control our situations that’s why we find it hard to turn over everything to the Lord while we recoup our strength and motivation. But rest is good. 
Learn to rest in Jesus. He will not fail you as you put your trust in Him.
My rests are varied. But often, they include praise music, silent prayers, singing in my heart, or just meditating on the Lord and His goodness. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment